If you have ever been to the United States and especially in the state of Florida, then the name of Fort Lauderdale must have popped up in some form or another. The airport is one of the busiest in the country and is located in Boward County. It is commonly termed as FLL for official purposes. The airport is located about 21 miles north of Miami and 3 miles from the town of Fort Lauderdale. This airport has multiple international and domestic flights, with daily flights to countries in Asia, Europe, North America, and Australia.
Some interesting facts about the airport:
- The Wall Street Journal cited this airport as the third-best in the country during 2019. It ranked high because of timely FLL airport arrivals, reliability, and efficacy.
- In 2005 the airport was hit by Hurricane Katrina which devastated the airport and left it non-operational for 5 days.
- In 2018 the Air Defense Commander made provisions that stationed fighter jets at the airport.
- It is also one of the most crowded airports in the United States. Many reports have cited that the airport has an average capacity of 83.6% on most days.
What are some tips to keep in mind when traveling through the airport?
- It is very useful if one has the FLL airport map with them.
- There are terminal boards all over the place to help passengers stay updated with FLL Airport arrivalsand departures. For transportation services, there are separate kiosks spread near the reception and designated waiting areas for each.
- For people traveling with babies or small children, some provisions allow for diaper change and restrooms.
- For any queries always be sure to make use of the helpdesk and personnel all around the airport.
What are some of the amenities in the airport?
- There are several ATMs all around the airport for easy cash withdrawals.
- Like any other airport, there are quite a lot of cafes that are spread around the terminals.
- Restrooms are present in every terminal. These are often accompanied by baby changing rooms. Special amenities are present for the physically challenged as well.
- There are a couple of restaurants as well to provide a fine dining experience within the airport premises.
- For all those who are looking to buy something from the airport, there are a variety of stores ranging from general stores to duty-free luxury shopping.
Another important fact about the airport is that it comprises many terminals. There are mainly four major terminals. The first terminal or Terminal 1 serves as a concourse for most domestic airlines including Southwest. Terminal 2 is used by Delta and Air Canada flights. This terminal is marked red. Terminal 3 is represented using purple color and this serves as a concourse point for some of the European airlines. Lastly, terminal 4 is the busiest one out of these with over 40 different airlines operating from this terminal. The above pointers should give one a general idea about the layout of the airport.